Sometimes, even with a bookcase full of writing reference books or a binder full of notes from writing courses, you want to work with someone who will listen to you about your specific story, and help you with equally specific advice.
- Some clients need help unscrambling their thoughts and getting their story straight. A one hour “plot session” phone call is usually all it takes to get from fragmented ideas to focused characterization and a series of plot points.
- Some clients need more detailed help on a project. Either they’re trying to flesh out a complete scene outline or a series arc, or they need help tackling a plan for revising their completed (but messy!) novel. This usually takes around four hours overall.
- Some clients need support and accountability. They’ve been writing for a long time, but don’t seem to be getting where they want to go, either because they lack a writing group, or deadlines, or they need a little help from time to time to make sure they’re on the right track. Half-hour “check-ins” are usually the best package if you find yourself in need of a boost to stay on track. These can happen as needed, either on a regular basis (weekly, monthly) or as problems crop up.
Ongoing mentoring might help.
Basically, ongoing mentoring involves regularly scheduled calls, along with regular email check-ins and questions, that help you identify:
- Where your strengths are
- What needs some help (and how to address that)
- What you want, and why you want it
- What to do next
It also helps give you accountability, as well as plenty of emotional and instructional support.
A pro in your back pocket.
With ongoing mentoring, you’ll be able to draw from the experiences of nearly twenty years in the publishing industry, from writing to publishing to promotion. No matter where you are in the cycle, you’ll have someone to field questions and offer advice, perspective, and suggestions based on your specific writing career.
Here’s how ongoing mentoring works:
- First, we’ll start with the half hour free consult, so we can decide if ongoing mentoring is really what you need. We’ll also discuss where you are, what you want to write, what your goals are for your writing career at this point, and what you’re looking for in a coach.
- Then, you can order a package of coaching hours… just one or two to start, or a larger block of time that you can use as needed. To order, you just need to send an email. We invoice via Paypal.
- If you just need accountability, you can order a package of half-hour “check-ins” and perhaps add the reading rate for editing — turning in pages for me to read through to give verbal only feedback.
- Finally, we’ll start to schedule your coaching sessions, and set up regular check-ins via email as needed in addition to recorded phone calls. You can schedule your session(s) by emailing, and we’ll get you on the calendar.
The benefits of ongoing mentoring:
- You’ll have one-on-one guidance, with a program tailored to your specific individual needs.
- You’ll get a new sense of clarity and confidence: email anytime with questions, on both the writing and the industry.
- You’ll feel energized and excited about your project, especially if you’re feeling stuck or listless.
- You’ll have a “sounding board” and “crazy check” for those times when you feel like the story you loved only yesterday is suddenly a huge, chaotic mess.
- You’ll also have a friendly, supportive, but still incisive mentor to help you see what’s working for you — and what isn’t.
- You’ll have a sense of accountability and a regular check-in routine, which will help you stay on track, and move your writing career forward.
Pricing for ongoing mentoring:
The a la carte phone call rate is $150 per hour.
We also offer mentoring packages of 4 hours for $540.
How to schedule ongoing mentoring:
- Start with the free half hour coaching consultation.
- Email Dede, assistant extraordinaire and Keeper of the Calendar, to place your order and to schedule your first session. She’ll send you a copy of our coaching agreement, and a receipt for your hours. We bill via Paypal.
- After our first call, you’ll get the download link for an mp3 recording of our phone call.
- If you want to schedule things like email reminders/check-ins, we can do that on that first call, or any time thereafter.
- Email any time with questions!
Ready to get your writing career on the right track?
Email today, and let’s get started!